Join the Pride Center and our many campus partners for a cross-campus, month-long public display of eight blocks of the AIDS Memorial Quilt. The Memorial Quilt is the largest ongoing public art project in the world and has been displayed across the United States since the 1980s. Read more about the AIDS Memorial Quilt here, and stay tuned for more updates on the AIDS Memorial Quilt’s visit to UT by checking out our landing page for all quilt related information: tiny.utk.edu/aidsmemorialquilt.
Wednesday, December 1, 2021
10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. EST
Beginning at Student Union Gallery
The walking tour is a special event open to faculty, students, and staff. The tour will involve a comfortably paced walk to visit each of four quilt panels located on the main campus. The tour will be led by a guide who is knowledgeable about the quilt and its locations on campus. The walking tour begins at the Student Union Gallery and will include visits to Ewing Gallery, McClung Museum Gallery, and Bailey Education Complex. The guide will provide hardcopy instructions to visit the quilt panel at the College of Veterinary Medicine on your own.
We are hosting eight blocks of the quilt at five locations across campus, and each display will have walking tour materials and information about the Memorial Quilt.
- Ewing Gallery in A&A (1715 Volunteer Blvd): see Ewing Gallery hours here
- Student Union Gallery (1502 Cumberland Ave): see SU hours here.
- McClung Museum Lobby (1327 Circle Park): open Tuesday through Saturday, 9am to 5pm
- The fourth and fifth floors of Bailey Education Complex (1122 Volunteer Blvd): open Monday through Friday, 8am – 8pm
- College of Veterinary Medicine (2407 River Drive): open Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. Follow signage to Pendergrass then follow Quilt-specific signage to the brick viewing foyer. Parking is extremely limited in this area–we recommend parking on main campus and taking the Neyland Express Bus to the Ag Campus.
Image Description: Red World AIDS Day ribbon to the right of text. Background image is a picture of the AIDS Memorial quilt displayed on in Washington D.C. Text reads: AIDS Memorial Quilt Walking Tour. Wednesday, December 1. 10:30 a.m. Learn more and register at tiny.utk.edu/AIDSQuiltWalkingTour.